Friday, March 30, 2012

Michelle

My name is Michelle. I am 44 years old. I am a stay-at-home mom to four awesome kids. Meagan (the Be You Beauty Project's founder and creator) is the second of my kids. I think that she is amazing and brave and kind. Isn't it sad that we can see all the wonderful things in the women around us but we can't se it in ourselves?
I have spent my whole life feeling less than. My clothes were never right, my hair was always blah, and I was only an average student. I have always been painfully shy. It has always been so hard for me to carry on a conversation with anyone that I don't know well.
As a teenager I had good friends and several boyfriends, but I was always surprised when anyone wanted to continue to spend time with me. What was so great about me? Surely they could find a prettier, smarter, more interesting friend/ date then I was.
Even after 25 years of marriage to a man that continuously tells me how wonderful I am, and how much he loves me, I have my doubts.
The very best thing I have found to help with my inadequacies is to remember that I am a daughter of God. I firmly believe that Heavenly Father loves all of His children and He has a special place in His heart for His daughters. But as I go through my life I find it difficult to keep this knowledge close to my heart. Too quickly the world slips in to destroy my self worth with images of what a woman should be. Then I have to remember the truth and begin again on my journey to love myself.
Thankfully, I have many women in my life to look to as role models. Most of them do not even know. I look to these women and see they are loved and admired for who they are. They are not what the media would call beautiful, nor are they praised by society for all the work they do. But they are truly examples of what I want to be and how I want to live my life.
Then I can take a moment to reflect on the possibility that maybe, just maybe, I also have this effect on other women around me for sparkly, small moments I can occasionally see that I am beautiful, and smart, and worthy. I strive to feel that more often and to share with others the joy that they bring to this world.

-No video for this post-

No comments: